dccomedyfest!

Hey, DC is funny...just not always on purpose. The FULL-FLEDGED, MULTI-DAY, MULTI-VENUE dccomedyfest arrives August 7-9, 2008!!!

Sunday, April 01, 2007

You, the blog reader, are probably sitting there thinking "Gee, dccomedyfest, you've talked to top notch acts from the world of improv & sketch, and even talked to a stellar Canadian Stand-up comic. Do we need to prompt you to talk to some homegrown all-star American talent?" The answer, a resounding no. In fact, we sat down and blogged a while with none other than Elon James White.

We think you'll love Elon James, but we'll let him win you over.

dccf: How did you get first get involved with Stand-up comedy?

Elon James: I first started stand-up after being yelled at. I was working in corporate (Information Technology Bitches, WHAT!) and I would go hang out at a little west Indian restaurant and complain. Every day I'd go tell stories about all the people I hated and one of the customers who would come by and hear my complaining told me I should be a stand-up. I argued for about 6 months but then relented and have been doing ever since.

dccf: So far in your career, what has the most interesting place Stand-up has taken you to perform?

Elon James: The most interesting place I've done comedy was at a bar somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania where people were wearing cowboy hats, but not in an ironic way. They were serious. It looked like the bar from "The Accused"(never heard of it? Wiki that mutha!) Me walking into the town tripled the Black population. I realize that's mathematically impossible, but rest assured it happened. But I had a great time.

dccf: What made you decide to found "The Brooklyn Comedy Company"?

Elon James: Drinking. Definitely started with a little drinking. I was at my favorite bar (Ripple Bar, what!) in Brooklyn and in an effort to rationalize the inordinate amount of time I was spending there, I figured I'd start doing shows there. But I over do EVERYTHING, so next thing you know I was holding auditions, branding a style of comedy that I wanted to push and then boom. We have BcCo. It's been one of the defining things in my comedy career.

dccf: For those of not in the know, can you tell us about "4 Shades of Black" and why it has received so much critical acclaim?

Elon James: "4 Shades of Black" was born out of frustration. A lot of people have one view of a "Black" comedian and its normally shaped by Comic View and Def Jam. I was told "You're not a black comic" 1 too many times. So I decided to create a show with other comedians I know who had similar experiences. I wanted to show that black comedy is quite diverse. And I think that's why the show is well received. It's not conforming to anything. Its comedy that messes with preconceptions.

dccf: What should fans looking to see "4 Shades of Black" at the fest expect to see?

Elon James: A top of the line show. Baron Vaughn was at the HBO Comedy Arts Festival last year and is all over the country now. Michelle Buteau was on Premium Blend, HBO Comedy Arts Fest '07 and has a few TV shows under her belt and Jordan Carlos Just did Live At Gotham and was at the "Just for Laughs" festival last year.. This is a dynamic show that I'm proud to be apart of.

dccf: The other members of "4 Shades of Black" are Jordan Carlos, Michelle Buteau, and Baron Vaughn. Do you all have a competitive relationship off stage, trying to be the funniest person in room? Or is more of a family feel?

Elon: Everyone does what they do. There's not really any competition since we're all very different types of people. It's all about the funny.

dccf: We see from your blog, Catharsis 101, that you live with two women. Do you ever find yourself in and Three is Company moments?

Elon James: If by "ever find" you mean "at all time" then yes. I live with 2 comedians and one of them is my girlfriend so its constantly a full fledged sitcom. 'How can I drive my roommate crazy? Ooooh, I know. Wax the floor! Yeah, she won't be able to walk with out falling, but then again, I did clean the floor, hahaha, Life is grand.'

dccf: Your blog mentions that you didn't try out for "Last Comic Standing" this year but are planning to do so next year. Are you going to watch this year? Is it hard to watch other stand-ups?

Elon James: I'll watch if anyone I know gets on. I do watch an incredibly large amount of comedy in general so I may not be the first one in front of the TV but I'm sure I'll be well versed (since everyone I know will tell me about it)

dccf: Occasionally the audience must do things that catch you off guard. What has the audience done at times that has kept the shows fun for you?

Elon James: I've had audience run up to me after my set to give me updates about my old neighborhood. I come from Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, and occasionally discuss the ghetto of legend on stage. No matter where I am there's always someone who's from there, or has family from there, or has been there on a very unfortunate day. I had a family run up to me yelling "There's an APPLEBEE's! There's an APPLEBEE's IN BED-STUY!" The concept of thugs trying to get an apple turnover, to me? Hilarious.

dccf: What acts at this year's dccomedyfest are you looking forward to having a chance to see in action?

Elon James: Well I'll probably catch Rob Cantrell. I've worked with him a lot in NYC but haven't seen him in a while so it'll be cool to see him do his thing. I'll probably get over to catch Eddie Brill as well.

dccf: For dccomedyfest audience members who haven't been lucky enough to see you perform yet, what can they expect to see?

Elon James: A Blazer. I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a Blazer involved.

dccf: Anything you want us to make sure dccomedyfest blog readers know about you and "4 Shades of Black"?

Elon James: That we're awesome. Pretty sure that's all they need to now. oh, and we'll be giving away money and gold and other things that might make people want to come to the show.

If we've peaked you interest head to our shows and tickets page for more details. Then we'll see you at the HR-57 Mainstage: 9:00PM on Friday April 13th for The Tonight Show Audition Show where you'll get to see Elon Audition to be on you guessed it THE TONIGHT SHOW!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home